Unemployment is hovering close to 10% and does not seem to be abating. Competition is fierce in the employment market so what can you do to stand head and shoulders above the rest? How can you create a Personal Brand that will make a simple resume submission look weak in comparison?
1. Find Yourself and Be It – some introspection is required to create a personal brand. What are your core skills? What are your unique talents? If you were a product and had a tagline, what would it be? What are your personal characteristics that enhance your professional experience? Brainstorm with family & friends & jot it all down.
2. LinkedIn is THE professional social media platform. Use it. And don’t just use the previous work experience section – use it all! Create your tagline, write a summary of who you are as a person and how that enriches who you are professionally. Add your personal blog and twitter to LinkedIn (see #3 first!). Ask everyone you know for a recommendation. Give potential employers a full picture of you as a Person.
3. Use Social Media for Good – I should not have to tell you that drunk tweeting and party pics on Facebook are not a great idea. Especially when you are looking for a job, social media networking is a valuable tool and can be a way to meet a potential employer. Create secondary accounts if after 2 martinis you feel the need to tweet. As a Recruiter in a previous life, one of the first things I always did was google and facebook search people – job searchers be aware!
4. Create an Online Resume – blog platforms like blogger, wordpress and others are free. Creating an online resume gives you the opportunity to share anecdotes about professional experience, highlight your personality and show your creativity. Blog about topics related to your industry. Connect this to your LinkedIn profile.
5. Tell a Potential Employer Why They Need You – this employment market is not the time to be shy. Be assertive and confident. Research the company that you are interviewing with and make sure you can list three ways that you and your skills are a fit. Practice reciting these reasons before the interview.
If you don’t know who you are, then how can an employer? Get busy for 2011 – make it your banner year!
Need help creating your personal brand? Parasol Creations creates online resumes for job searches – Contact us today for a free 30 minute New Year Consultation!